Sunday

SMOKE, SMOKE, SMOKE (That Cigarette) ~ Phil Harris & his Orchestra 1947



A real toe-tapper featuring The Sportsman (cough) from the incomparable Phil Harris, Indiana born and Nashville raised. Phil was best known as the Southern hipster musical director for The Jack Benny Program. "Hiya, Jackson!" and later as a favorite voice in a number of Disney's animated films, notably "Baloo" in The Jungle Book.

Smoke Smoke Smoke (Merle Travis, Kentucky)

Now I'm a feller with a heart of gold
And the ways of a gentleman I've been told
The kind of guy that wouldn't even harm a flea
But if me and a certain character met
The guy that invented the cigarette
I'd murder that son-of-a-gun in the first degree

It ain't cuz I don't smoke myself
And I don't reckon that it'll harm your health
Smoked all my life and I ain't dead yet

But nicotine slaves are all the same
At a pettin' party or a poker game
Everything gotta stop while they have a cigarette

Smoke, smoke, smoke that cigarette
Puff, puff, puff and if you smoke yourself to death
Tell St. Peter at the Golden Gate
That you hate to make him wait
But you just gotta have another cigarette


No comments:

Post a Comment